Paper wristbands vs Tyvek® wristbands
If you’re in the event or entertainment industry, then the words Tyvek® and paper wristbands might sound a bit foreign, although you probably have some vague recollection of wearing them to a theme park, a concert, a conference, or even in the hospital. If you are researching wristbands for whatever reason, these two will likely come up as a cost-effective option. But which is best?
What’s the difference between paper and Tyvek® wristbands?
The two terms are used interchangeably, although that’s not technically correct. Tyvek®, while feeling a bit like waxy paper, is not actually a paper product, but rather a synthetic material made from high-density polyethylene fibres which are compressed with heat to form sheets of a material similar in texture and appearance to paper. Tyvek® is closer to recyclable plastic than it is to paper, but the name ‘paper wristbands’ has stuck. It must be noted that some inferior ‘paper wristbands’ have emerged on the market that are not produced using Tyvek® material.
What’s the problem with cheaper wristbands?
If you’re going with the durable and economical Tyvek® wristband option, then you’re benefitting from a tried-and-tested product that will provide optimum results. However, you must ensure that it’s a Tyvek® wristband as other paper wristbands suffer from several defects, including:
- A waxy texture that is uncomfortable for wearers causing skin irritation.
- Discolouration of the wristband over a short space of time.
- Inability to print clearly on the wristbands.
- A lack of durability as the wristbands will easily tear or break.
Why is Tyvek® a superior material?
There are many reasons why Tyvek® remains a popular choice for event wristbands from a security, durability, and affordability view:
1. Hydrophobicity (waterproofing)
Substandard paper wristbands are unable to withstand the elements, meaning they will disintegrate when wet and are not suitable for outdoor events. Tyvek®, however, is resistant to water droplets while also allowing water vapour to pass through. It’s a breathable but protective barrier.
The tide has shifted with some positive momentum towards sustainability which means companies need to prioritise this when considering all aspects of an event – wristbands included. Fortunately, unlike other paper wristbands that might include harmful substances, Tyvek® is 100% recyclable.
Tyvek® wristbands may look very similar to paper wristbands in that they’re both lightweight with a paper-like texture, the paper fibres are sourced from wood rather than polyethylene as with Tyvek®. While they might have a similar appearance initially, you can soon tell which is the authentic Tyvek® and which is actually paper through colour loss and wear and tear.
One of the key reasons that Tyvek® wristbands have continued to dominate the event space is that it’s an incredibly durable material that can withstand rain, friction, and other weathering without losing colour, shape, or messaging. They are also completely tamper-proof and, once removed, cannot be reapplied, making them an excellent option for event access restrictions.
What are Tyvek wristbands used for?
There are so many ways that Tyvek® wristbands have assisted event organisers over the years. Here’s a look at some of the many uses:
- Event access: These are great security passes (replacing tickets) for concerts and festivals, as well as being useful for VIP and backstage passes when printed in different colours.
- Nightclubs: Because they’re available in night-glow colours, Tyvek® wristbands have also become popular at nightclubs, minimising delays with VIP access and drink orders.
- Promotions and awareness: Tyvek® wristbands can be handed out as a way to entitle people to free drinks or gift promotions, as well as create awareness around various causes.
- Parks and resorts: Holiday resorts which offer different packages can assign guests colour-coded wristbands to signify who can access what. They’re also ideal for keeping children safe at water parks and theme parks, as they’re tear- and scratch-resistant.
- Travel: Tyvek® wristbands are a fantastic way to identify your luggage, particularly when you’re having to find your baggage on a busy airport carousel.
- School events and excursions: Keeping track of hundreds of little ones away from school can be quite an undertaking, but it’s made so much easier with Tyvek® wristbands which are not only colour-coded, but can include important contact details.
How to design the ultimate event wristband?
Even designing your Tyvek® wristband is a simple undertaking – especially when you’re working with industry specialists like IDC Band. They will assist you in a few simple steps that include:
- Choosing the colour that will match your event, organisation, or theme.
- Choosing the font and adding the necessary text including contact or business information.
- Choosing the right graphics to include on the wristband.
- Checking the final sample before deciding to go ahead.
Get in touch with IDC Band today to find out more about their range of Tyvek® wristbands – and more!